Monday, July 25, 2011

Swimming Through Juneau

It was hard to believe that yesterday was July 24, with how much it rained, I could have sworn it was January 24 and I was in Northern CA. But, being on vacation we got out and slogged our way through Juneau to the Mendenhall Glacier and then took the tram up to the top of Mt. Roberts.

However, the real treat of the day was Tracy's King Crab Shack. This hole in the wall is literally a trailer with some tented seating, and it was packed. We shared a small order of their superior Crab Bisque and then dug into a bucket of King Crab Legs. They were perfectly cooked and served with a delicious Cole slaw and garlic rolls. Yum, yum.

At dinner, Jessica and I shared a bottle of Roederer L'ermitage Brut Rose with our table that we brought with us from home. It is one of my favorite sparkling wines and we both had something called a Crab and Ahi Tuna Sandwich on Pineapple Carpacio. This dish turned out to be a two slices of tuna surrounding a king crab salad with the whole assembly perched on top of a micro thin slice of pineapple. Great stuff and it went extraordinarily well with the sparkling wine.

It was also Bananas Foster night, and Crystal does not know the meaning of small dessert portions. I asked for a half order and it only seemed slightly smaller than our dining companions full orders. I found it in me to eat the whole thing. To be perfectly honest, it was good, but I've had better, namely my own version when I've made it. Just a really small quibble.

Tonight is the cutting edge fusion cuisine of Nobu Masashita (please forgive my spelling) at Silk Road. Our last encounter was truly memorable. All you have to know there is Miso Marinated Black Cod. And by the way, Black Cod is not cod, it is sable fish. I learned that yesterday at the Alaskan Chef's Table Excursion.

Tuesday is the Vintage Room and Wednesday finds us back at Prego. And last night we had a really big surprise waiting for us in our cabin, an invitation to cocktails with the Captain in his quarters. First we are at an officer's hosted table, next an invitation from the Captain, we must really be moving up in the Crystal universe.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment