Tuesday, May 31, 2011

An Ode to The Golden State

Originally, I was going to write about a Champagne event that I attended last week. However, after driving back from the Klamath River via Eureka and the 101, I have finally been to all four corners of this remarkable state. And that in itself is quite a statement, for in California, we are overtaxed and over governed by a dysfunctional political elite. Yet, after having been to all four corners, Eureka and Yreka in the north, San Diego and the desert regions around Indio, across the mid section to Lake Tahoe and beyond, this is remarkable place with some truly remarkable attributes. I just thought I might list them here.

1. Redwood trees. If you are not moved by the sight of these magnificent trees, nothing on Earth can do it. They look down at you and say, we've seen things you only read about, and will be here after you're gone. It's no wonder that clumps of Redwoods are referred to as cathedrals, for there is something truly spiritual about being among them. Driving back from Eureka, we drove through the Humbolt Redwoods State Park where there are just mile after mile of these trees. They are giants even when passing them at 70 MPH on the freeway.

2. The Pacific Coast Highway, frequently referred to as the PCH. Highway 1 runs along the coast from Santa Monica to just south of Eureka and anyone part of boasts spectacular scenery like none you have ever seen anywhere. You really fell as if you are at the edge of the world. You pass the movie colony of Malibu, the funky beach towns of Pismo Beach and Morro Bay, Hearst Castle, Big Sur, the Monterrey Coast, Pebble Beach, Santa Cruz Boardwalk, the stunning coast along the SF Peninsula, the Marin Headlands, the Russian River Headlands, Fort Ross, Mendocino Headlands, and the fishing village of Fort Bragg. As I have traveled almost all of it, I have only scratched the surface here. It is as great a road as exists anywhere in the world. The only thing close is Victoria's coast road in Southern Australia.

3. Produce, produce, produce. California produces almost 60% of this countries produce, and over 70% of its lettuce. On the surface, driving through the Central Valley can be one of the world's most boring trips. Look below the surface and you see the wide variety of fruits and vegetables that grow here. Did you know that most of our rice and cotton are grown in the Central Valley. Travel during Orange season and you see oranges abounding. When traveling through growing areas, we love to stop at produce stands to pick up freshly picked local products. I am addicted to strawberries fresh off the fields. And don't get me started on cherries.

4. Cooking in California. During my culinary training and my first jobs in NYC, I dreamed about cooking with the wonderful raw products that are available in California. When I wanted to cook something special for friends and family, I always had to call my friend and produce purveyor Carmine to get all the product I needed for my menus. I nearly fainted when I first walked into a local Safeway and saw all those special fruits and veggies on display. Wherever I travel, I always go to local markets and I am constantly amazed at the wide range of produce that is produced here in California. Getting back to cooking, California Cuisine is a lot of hype, but it is a truly indigenous cuisine deeply affected by Asian and Mexican immigrants.

5. The weather. No winters. I repeat, no winters. I visit the snow and then go home. While my blood has thinned and I consider any temperature below 50 to be freezing, I love the short winters. In the summer, we get 90's during the day and 50's at night. Come to think about it, those temps are some of what makes this a great wine region!

While I will always consider myself a transplanted New Yorker, I will probably never return. For all the reasons above, I love it here. Now if only our state government can get it's act together....

Next, 38 Champagne producers all under one roof. Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment